CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dinner Time

This is what our daily dinner routine consists of:

1) Making delicious food. I am a very picky eater. I make things that most people like because that's what I like. Nothing really weird or gross. I'm talking normal stuff like spaghetti and pizza and chicken dishes and soups. Good stuff, okay?

2) Getting the kids to the table. Usually there are threats involved and some whining on their part. It's like they don't want to eat. Okay, they really don't.

3) Once prayer is done, we dish out the food. There is usually loud crying or complaining or even screaming about what we are putting on their plate. Again, not alien weird food. Normal good food.

4) More threats, bribes, or whatever we can think of to make them eat.

5) None of the aforementioned methods work.

6) When dinner is over, we both sigh and hope that tomorrow's dinner time doesn't come too soon.

So now that we have established the norm, let me explain what happened tonight. We had spaghetti. I make yummy sauce that even has a little sugar in it. Who doesn't like sugar? We also had peas and garlic bread. The crying came when the sauce went on the plates (they like to eat just plain wheat noodles). More crying when the peas went on the plate. Threats, anger, etc. We finally got Bridger to open his mouth for a bite of THREE peas. He immediately started grabbing at his mouth trying to scrape the peas out his mouth. They wouldn't come out so he put his finger down his throat to try and get them out and he gagged himself and threw up his grape juice/noodle mix all over himself. Immediately after spewing he looked at Adam and with the most threatening devil face he could muster said, "NO! I don't like it!" Then more crying.

Brody fared a little better in that we forced him to take ONE bite of peas and ONE bite of noodles with sauce and he kept them in his mouth/digestive system.

To those of you with older children, when does this end?

And also, anyone wanna come over for dinner?

19 comments:

Andre and Lexi said...

I pee'd my pants reading this post!!! hahahaha. I know its probably not funny at all to you but I'm lovin it! Im down to come to dinner! hehehe

Amber said...

This isn't helpful but I'm on Bridger's side. I feel like puking when I smell peas, heaven forbid I have to eat them.
But good luck!

Perkins Family said...

My kids eat their noodles plain a well and I let them. As for the pea's, just keep putting them on their plates and asking them to try one. We did this with my kiddos and broccoli and after so many times of this awful food on their plate they ate it and liked it. You could try offering to put some cheese on the pea's for fun.
I feel sometimes as if Evan (who just turned 3) never eats anything no matter what I offer him.

Lenae said...

Yeah, I feel bad because I laughed at this too... Sorry :)

The Mitchells said...

I really love reading your posts. Sorry Bridger gagged himself. Just think of the laughs you'll have in years to come... hopefully it will be funny then? ;)

Zachariah Parry said...

Maybe you should try something weird.

Nicole said...

I think they are begging for sushi, personally:) Branik would honestly rather eat salmon and asparagus than macaroni and cheese.

When does it end? Ummm...I'll let you know when we get there. Let's remember that Rylan is 7 1/2.

Good luck with that.

Chrystapooh said...

Yep, here, too. Why is it that I remember my parents making us clean our plates no matter what was on it? And that vomiting was rarely involved? And if it was involved, then said vomiter was ACTUALLY SICK???

Ugh. I guess in 10 years I'll be lamenting the size of my grocery bill and being unable to keep enough food in the house for 3 teenage (or almost) boys...

Cyndi said...

Andy is still that way. One thing that we have found that works is... we let him dish his own food onto his plate. We offer him everything on the table and then let him dish it onto his plate. He doesn't always take everything, but what he does take he eats without any whining. And eventually he will try new things. Hope this helps

Lynette said...

The nice thing is knowing that our children are normal. The sad thing is telling you that the girls are just coming out of that phase - and they are seven and five. We have tried all the tricks and the only thing that has worked thus far is the, "you only get dessert if you eat all your dinner".
My mom tells me not to worry about it and they will eventually eat when they are hungry. We have had to cut out sippy cups and snacks in between meals - in order to reach that "hungry" point - and even then it doesn't always come.
I know how much better it makes a Mom feel inside though we she knows her kids have had a good meal. You could always add a vitamin into their daily mix. It makes me feel better. You're awesome and they will come around!

Becky said...

I laughed too and I didn't feel bad about it. You were one of the pickiest eaters of my children weren't you? I could just picture Bridger wiping the peas out of his mouth. You might want to stock up on food because everyone and their dog is going to come to dinner at your house. You make it sound so appetizing!

Kendra said...

I laughed too and I also laughed at your mommy's post. Mom's don't usually offer a lot of sympathy in that respect. I think Casen is just starting on this phase but for now he just throws his food when he is done eating. He threw a ketchup covered chicken nugget on my white shirt yesterday! Kids are rotten!! Good luck!

sNick said...

HAHAHAHAHA - okay, probably not funny when it happened, but really funny to read about.

The Findarle Family said...

That is hilarious! And I think it is really funny that mom said she laughed and didnt feel bad about it! hahahaha

Jay and Sherrie said...

Dinner and a show? When you guys do something you go all out!

Eliza said...

Bridger and Brody can do what ever they want because they are ridiculously attractive. Just let them express themselves, ok?

Winn Family said...

ha ha ha! That's funny stuff

danakay said...

Sorry! I laughed too. :-) Our rule is pretty simple. We make Grant eat whatever we put on his plate. We don't put too much mind you...just a little of everything. At first, he would sit there for sometimes an hour or more! Seriously. But now he just knows he has no choice and he even likes his vegetables! Good luck! Parenting can be so tricky! :-)

Sylwia said...

i'm glad you are not giving in to your kids. i'm the mean mom that makes my kids eat everything! and the best way to end the fight is to quit buying and giving them snacks, even cereal! nothing like really hungry kids to make them eat. if there is not stuff they like to eat around the house, pretty soon they'll eat what you offer them! but you have to be strong enough to let them go hungry! of course that may be hard to do when you are pregnant...