CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Are You Being Eaten Alive?


I have always been a mosquito magnet. Every summer (especially since we moved to Georgia) I have dreaded the inevitable itching and bumpy legs and arms. The constant scratching because the cortisone cream is either missing or doesn't last long enough. I have always wondered why I seem to get more bites than other people, especially Adam. We can be at the park for the same amount of time and stay the same area the whole time and I will come home with 50 bites and he'll have none.

Last week Adam was at work and a friend of his was being eaten alive and Adam was unscathed. Adam said, "You must have O- blood." His friend couldn't believe he knew that! Adam was just joking- because that's why my blood type is and that I attract the bugs. That got us thinking...do mosquitoes prefer a certain type of blood?

I did a little (and I mean like 5 minutes) of research this morning and it turns out he was right! Type O blood is, for some reason or another, more appealing to mosquitoes. Type A (Adam's type) is the least appealing.

I thought this was really interesting. Oh...you didn't? Weird.


15 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm pretty sure that I am not "O" blood type, but I am a mosquito magnet. It's the same way with Erik and I, as far as getting bit. Sadly, Karlee is the same as me, we are destined to be mosquito magnets for the rest of our days. I even got more flea bites than anyone else...it's great fun! I've seriously considered getting those clip on OFF things and just adding it to my wardrobe as a permanent accessory! :-) Now I just need to find out if they really work!

sNick said...

That's REALLY interesting! I'm A+ and I never get bites. My mom, however, always does. I think she might be O-something.

Aivaz Family said...

I am O- also. And they prey on me too. Good to know.

KarenM said...

Randy and I are both A+ and the fleas LOVED him when we had an indoor cat (about 28 years ago!), but they didn't bite me. Does that wreck your theory??

KarenM said...

Randy and I both have A+ blood, but he got eaten alive by fleas when we had a cat (about 28 years ago!) and they never bothered me. Does this wreck your theory?....

(I'm trying this again, last comment didn't publish...)

heather said...

That is interesting! I'm not O but A and when we go out I get maybe one to two bites. I still hate them but it's never bad like some of my family members. I believe you. Thanks for sharing.

Lant Family said...

I get eaten alive--I hate it!! I spend so much money on bug spray that smells good. I have to put it on if I go outside for 5 minutes.

Zachariah Parry said...

I am O, but I am one of those who doesn't really interest mosquitoes much.

I hear pregnancy is also a factor, but I have never been afflicted with that.

Adam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam said...

I am surprised you didn't mention how nature evened the score this summer and afflicted me with poison oak! Now I look like that poor fella in the cartoon - lumpy and scratchin' my way through the night!

Becky said...

I am O- and I get bites but not a huge amount. Others usually have more. But by most of your comments your theory seems to hold true.

Shari Davis said...

Okay! That was hilarious!! And I did not know that mosquitoes prefer O type blood.

Leslie Watters said...

I wonder what Edward would say...

Eliza said...

Did you get permission from Mark Parisi to publish his cartoon?

Nicole said...

Type O Postive. You know I share your misery in the mosquito department. Boone is B- and hardly ever gets attacked like I do.