CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Our Three Month Food Storage

A few months ago I posted something about my desire to start building our food storage. I wanted us to have a year's supply and had a list of things to get every week so that in a year, it would be done. I was talking to someone in our ward who happens to be a food storage guru about it. She gave me some really good ideas on how to build up a three-month supply of food before I go for the whole year. Some people have asked me why I am doing this. I got this quote off of one of our church websites called providentliving.org:

"Our Heavenly Father created this beautiful earth, with all its abundance, for our benefit and use. His purpose is to provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience. He has lovingly commanded us to “prepare every needful thing” (see D&C 109:8) so that, should adversity come, we can care for ourselves and our neighbors and support bishops as they care for others.

"We encourage members world-wide to prepare for adversity in life by having a basic supply of food and water and some money in savings."

I have always known that this was important, but for some reason didn't put it very high on my priority list. The nice lady in our ward inspired me to get going. I made a menu for a full week's worth of food, including meals, snacks, drinks and any other items. I then made a grocery list based on those foods and multiplied it by 12 to get 12 weeks, or about 3 months. We have just been getting a few extra things every week at the grocery store and have made 2 or 3 trips to Sam's Club to get some of the bigger items. Adam built a shelf for us to put in our front room closet to store all the food so it didn't get weird in the heat of our garage. We are saving all of our juice containers (we go through a lot of juice), cleaning them out and filling them with clean water so that we have at least some water in case our water supply ever gets contaminated.
Today we just about finished our 3 month supply. I am pretty excited about it (even though I know Eliza is rolling her eyes or gagging right about now). It brings me a little bit more peace knowing that if anything ever happens, be it Adam losing his job or gasoline prices going to $8/gallon so we can't afford groceries, we will be able to take care of our family for a while.

The Provident Living website has a lot of good tips about establishing and maintaining food and water storage so if you are interested, it's a good place to start.

In other news this week, we have all been sick. Sick sick sick. Brody was sick for a few days, then Bridger woke up and threw up/dry heaved a few times then Brody was sick again. On Monday morning, they both just lay on the couch and watched cartoons looking pathetically sick, Bridger on a blanket to avoid any further upholstery stains. When they started to get better, I got sick with a sore throat/stuffy head. Now they feel fine- I just have to wipe their noses all day long, and I am still stuffy and my throat is scratchy. Adam is leaving on Sunday for an 11-day deployment briefing in Washington D.C. or Maryland or somewhere so I am really hoping we are all healthy and well by then.

Since Adam is leaving on Father's Day morning, we celebrated Father's Day yesterday. Adam went and picked out some new clothes for his Father's Day gift since he will be wearing civilian clothes to work instead of his uniform while preparing for his deployment and he doesn't have much besides jeans and t-shirts. My mom had given us a gift certificate to Honey-Baked Ham so we got an 8 pound brown sugar-cured ham and had it for dinner. I made homemade crescent rolls and corn on the cob, too. It was so good- the rolls melted in our mouths and I'm pretty sure the ham was the best thing I have ever eaten. Adam had a potluck at work last night so he took half the ham and shared it. Then we had it for lunch today and dinner again tonight and we still have some left. Thanks again for the ham, Mom.

12 comments:

Amber said...

I'm super excited for you! Zach and I went gung-ho about food storage for a bit before we moved back and when I saw all the food neatly organized on the shelf I actually teared up knowing I could feed my kids if there were to be an emergency. I hadn't felt that good in a long long time.
Also I am jealous of your honey baked ham, I've seriously been craving one for like 10 months now.
So sorry your wee ones are sick, it's the worst when they get it. I hope they get better soon.

Lant Family said...

Yeah---I want to get excited, just after the move. I am not moving all that food all over the country. I have always known it was important as well. Just haven't gotten around to doing anything more then just buying things by the case when they are on sale.

Zachariah Parry said...

I like your food storage. I have heard, though that those gallon water containers (the ones that look like milk jugs) are not good to store water in. Is that true? What does the guru say?

And it is lay.
I lie down right now. (present intransitive)
I lay down this morning. (past intransitive)
I have lain down before. (past participle intransitive)

I lay Brody down right now. (present transitive)
I laid Brody down this morning. (past transitive)
I have laid Brody down before. (past participle transitive)

Aren't you glad you asked? Or is it hard to tell how glad you are when you are gagging?

Jacob Parry said...

It might surprise you to know, but I am excited myself to start a food storage of my own when I am all settled in. I have always wanted a killer food storage. I saw Uncle Berts food storage closet this past weekend and figured mine would be like 2 1/2 times bigger than that.

Jessica said...

Zach- What I've heard about the gallon containers is that they are okay if you buy them as water containers and they stay sealed until you use them. It is not good to clean out gallon milk containers and fill them with water because they become too brittle and can crack.

Since it was in the past, wouldn't it have been laid? Brody and Bridger just laid on the couch? Slightly confusing.

Brooke said...

Dear Jessica,
Thank you for the nice comment you left on my blog. You are nice. I don't love pictures of myself so they rarely make it off the camera. I am excited to have you in our ward, your family makes really cute babies. I love babies. Cool food storage!! Is that homemade jam on your food storage shelf? Hmm. Lame. I want to be adopted into the Parry family, so hopefully one day we will be sisters. I hear that you are the nicest one. Eliza is not that nice. But funny, so I like her a lot. I think I am going to add you to my blog list becuase I believe this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.
From, Brooke.

Adelheide said...

I LOVE HoneyBaked Ham. If it weren't so pricy, I'd have it every week.

Eliza said...

I am sorry...I just skimmed the food storage part (snooze). I did gag and roll my eyes, but only a little.
Homemade jam is not lame and whoever says it is is obviously just jealous that they don't make it.
I am sorry you guys are sick, that blows.

Kendra said...

UMMM you are pretty cool and stuff! I am just happy to have my one month kits from the cannery right now. I guess I figure my father in law has enough for us (you know him), however, I might get sick of cheese puffs. I think it is great to have more food storage and I am going to get on it once I have a job!! Only a couple more months until you visit!! Yeah!!

Lenae said...

I dig your food storage... It's a good idea and it must be awesome to have that peace of mind. Good for you guys :)

Becky said...

Gag, gag, choke, cough. Oh excuse me. I thought I was Eliza for a minute.

I wish you guys were all well! Maybe Adam can give the boys and you a blessing before he leaves for good so that you all will stay well!

Justin and Lindsay Wilkin said...

Jessica you are a huge inspiration to me...You are a amazing example of a wonderful wife, mother, R.S. Pres., card maker, and now food storage genius! :) I am so glad that we are friends! I can't wait to see you again soon. Goodluck with Adam's deployment. Let me know if you need anything.