CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 12, 2010

Backtracking: I'm Older Now

Last week was my 27th birthday. In the past, I have been slightly demanding as far as how I thought my birthday should go. I always thought it should be made special, even if you have to force people to make it special. Yeah- I know. I'm a piece of work.

This year felt completely different. I didn't much care to have it be different than any other day. Birthdays just don't seem to mean much anymore. I woke up expecting it to be like any other- Brody went to school, I started the laundry, and hung out with my gal pal Leslie (who was in town for a few days). My friend Sarah called and offered to take me out to lunch for my birthday. It was really fun to go out and do something a little different. When I got home from lunch, the house was spotless and there were flowers, a card, and chocolate on the table. I thought, "Wow. Leslie really went a little crazy." Actually, Adam had rushed home during work, cleaned like a crazy man and left me those delightful surprises. I know...hot right?I had a few friends drop off yummy birthday treats and got a lot of well wishes via phone and internet. Then for dinner, we went and checked out the new restaurant Cheddar's and loved it. When we got home, Leslie was back from her outing and she had brought home CINNAMON ROLLS! They were from a little bakery here in town and they were so good! She and Adam both knew that I'm not a big fan of cake so they came up with the cinnamon roll idea...because they're GENIUSES. I'm not sure why I have no pictures of Adam or Leslie but I promise they were there.I decided that every year from now on, I'm going to just consider my birthday just like any other day. That way, the little surprises and kind acts of service that come will make the day surprisingly special, just like they did this year.

This has nothing to do with my birthday, but I love this picture of the boys snuggled up together on the couch watching tv in the morning. They can be so cute...

7 comments:

Lant Family said...

Happy Birthday! Man I am the same way. Birthdays are supper special in my family and not so much in JJs. We usually fight on my bday. My bday is in March and he is already dreading it!! I know someday I will need to just adjust the way I think and try to just have a normal day.

KarenM said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day! I still think what Uncle Terry does is great - he gives my MOM something special on his birthday, just to say Thanks for having him! I wish I'd thot of it first....

heather said...

Happy Birthday! SO glad that you had a great day. We did the same this year. Okay, every year since we've had kids. It's just another day and those little surprises just make it so much better.

Becky said...

Cute pictures! I like the cinnamon roll idea. That way you aren't left with a whole bunch of cake that someone (me) has to eat.

sNick said...

Happy Birthday!!! I didn't realize that we're only a year apart! I'll be 26 in April! Glad you had a great day!

Zachariah Parry said...

We had a Cheddar's in Illinois. The food there tasted like barf. I am glad either your Cheddar's is better, or at least that you like barf.

Happy birthday!

Audrey and Mike Findarle said...

I am the same way about birthdays... And I would LOVE my house cleaned more than any gift... maybe when I am 27 it will happen