CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sweetheart Cafe VIII

When I was growing up, there was a woman in our ward- Wendy- who had started a tradition on her first Valentine's Day with her husband. They didn't have a lot of money so she made a big sparkly heart sign that said "Sweetheart's Cafe" and she made a nice romantic dinner for two. They have done it every year since. I'm not sure how long ago that was but I know it was more than 25 years ago. Every year she makes it bigger and better and opens her house for people to come and see all her crazy decorations and the fancy family table. Just to be clear, I love her. When Adam and I got married, I thought it would be cool to do this too, so we have. Every year. It is never as cool or fancy or amazing as Wendy's but it's still fun and something we look forward to.Sunday morning for breakfast Adam made pink heart pancakes that were a big hit.
This year was the first time that we invited our kids for dinner. In the past, we have put them to bed and then had a late dinner together so that we could actually enjoy it without getting anger indigestion (see here) and last year, our rad friends the Winns had a babysitting night and offered to take our kids so we could enjoy our dinner. Since our boys are older and like fun things, we decided it was time to let them join us. Adam and I talked about it beforehand and decided that we weren't going to worry about them eating their food like every other night- we would just have fun and enjoy it.Our grill broke a while ago and we've missed all of our barbeque recipes so for Valentine's Day, Adam and I got each other a new grill (although we still couldn't bring ourselves to buy anything but the cheapest one we could find). To celebrate, our menu consisted of Honey Garlic BBQ chicken, twice-baked potatoes, corn on the cob and then heart brownies and ice cream for dessert. Oh- and Raspberry Pomegranate Italian soda with red heart ice for the drink.
Brody ate every bite of dinner and then ate so much dessert that Adam had to carry him to bed because he was so full. Bridger politely declined the potatoes and corn but he ate all his chicken and, of course, all his dessert. It was pleasant and fun and I'm so excited to do it again next year.

7 comments:

Becky said...

I think I will plan my next year's visit to coincide with Valentine's Day. That sounds soooo fun and good. Especially the heart shaped brownies!

Lynette said...

That is such a great idea Jessica! I thought I was creative by making a "V - Day treat". You're awesome! I'm going to start your cute idea - if that's alright?
I have to ask you. Where in the world did you get that AWESOME kitchen table. It's perfect. I want it NOW!
P.S. They have two spots for a needed physician at Fort Gordon and Steven ranked them pretty high on the list. We should know within a few weeks. It would only be for a year again but it would sure be fun and nice to come back for that time.

Zachariah Parry said...

I'm with Mom. Next time we come to visit it will be in the middle of February. The more people you have, the more romantic it will be.

Jonathan and Rachel said...

Yeah for traditions ... I THINK we may be heading there 3/2 ... can we get a girls night planned for that night! It's a Tuesday though... SEE YA SOON!

Lenae said...

I love this! What a cool idea :)

Jay and Sherrie said...

That is so awesome. Yea for traditions and Yea for sharing them so that people can copy them. :)
Miss you guys like crazy!

Winn Family said...

love it all! I didn't know you did the Cafe with the boys this year (oh, and thanks for the awesome shout-out! woo woo) Dinner looked awesome! And all your projects--SO GREAT! Thanks for all your help today--your iron was real nice! You guys are just FREAKEN AWESOME! So good job with that! I like that about you.