CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 16, 2010

I Have a Five Year-Old

Five years ago today, I was at the hospital meeting my new little Brody. It was my first day as a mom. It was terrifying and exciting at the same time. I had no idea what was in store for Brody and me. I was clueless as to how dang hard being a mom would be. How frustrating and how maddening it would be at times. But I also had no idea what it would feel like to watch my child do wonderful things that would fill me to overflowing with happiness and gratitude.

Now I know.

For some reason, five seems a lot older than four. It's like the beginning of a new stage of life. Kindergarten, riding the bus, becoming more independent. Not having complete control over what influences him. It's scary and I don't really like it but I'm also excited to see what Brody will do and become.

So here are a few things about Brody:

His favorite food is quesadillas (he calls them tacos).
His favorite color is blue.
His favorite tv shows are science shows. Anything on the discovery channel or science channel, including Mythbusters, How It's Made, and Build It Bigger.
He is terrified of riding his big boy bike. ("I wish I could be like Bridger. He's not afraid of anything.")
He love love loves counting and spelling and is learning how to read. He will count to a hundred when we're driving around in the car.
I'm so grateful that Brody was sent to me. He is so innocent and forgiving of my failings and shortcomings. He loves me even when I'm impatient and short with him. His smile melts me.

Happy Birthday Brody. I love you.



5 comments:

Adam said...

I love Brody too. What kind of a kid loves science and building shows? A smart one! I love that he loves those shows.

The Galan Family said...

Happy Birthday Brody! What a cute kid he is. But Mythbusters?? Really Brody?? Just kidding. You are a good mom Jessica. Despite what you might think and I have news for you... you aren't old. I have a seven year old!

Becky said...

You are a wonderful Mom and Brody is going to have to beat girls off with a stick. Or a spider or a science experiment or something.

Anita said...

Just be grateful you're not in my spot...my littlest is turning 5 this year!! It is so bitter/sweet watching them grow up! It all happens so fast:(

Hannah said...

Happy Birthday Brody! Hayden was really excited that you are now 5 like him. We miss you.