CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 30, 2008

This Is What Boredom Looks Like

My whole life I considered Saturdays to be the fun day out of the week- no school, no work, and no church. I love church- don't get me wrong, but I don't consider it fun. When Adam started working shift work, my view of Saturdays and weekends totally changed. He works every Saturday from 7am to 5pm, plus driving time- pretty much all stinking day. I don't look forward to Saturdays anymore. Even though he has Monday off, it's just not the same. My brain still tells me that I should be having a break on Saturdays instead of it being just like any other day. This last Saturday was so long for some reason. I ran out of fun things to do with the kids early on and I wasn't sure how I was going to get through it. We recently moved both boys into Brody's room and now I have a piano/craft/stamping room (I know- how lucky am I?) so I was going through their clothes in that closet and boxing and labeling them so they could be put in the attic. I came across the Halloween costumes Brody has worn and he really liked the dalmation costume from when he was 18 months old. I told him it was too small but he really wanted to wear it so whatever- we put it on him. He looked completely ridiculous and my neighbor Leslie even came over and got a good laugh at him. It was pretty funny. Now that is pretty much all he wants to wear. Today I had to convince him that it would be silly for him to wear it to church and that he should wear his church clothes instead.To fill the rest of the the day yesterday, we played Mr. Potato Head, Little Einsteins Memory Game, went and got Brody some badly-needed sandals for the summer (it's already gotten pretty hot here) and went on a "magic carpet ride"- pulling them on a blanket across the living room. If any of you have any activities for little people who are bored (or big people for that matter), please pass them on. We are always looking for new fun things to do.

13 comments:

Aivaz Family said...

Seriouly, I feel bad because I think that Katelyn is always bored too. I need ideas as well.

Zachariah Parry said...

I am getting a Wii this summer. That should cure mine and Amber's boredom.

We played "Don't eat Pete" yesterday with the kids - they loved it. Do you remember that game?

Draw a grid with nine squares and number them one through nine. Then put nine pieces of something edible on it - one on each square. M&Ms, goldfish, etc. Then you pick a number and they start eating the food. Their goal is to eat all of it. But if they pick up the food on the square with the selected number, you yell "Don't eat pete!" And their turn is over. So they have about an 11 percent chance of winning. But really the whole game is winning because they get to eat.

Don't be too enthusiastic, though. I yelled "Don't eat Pete!" too loud the first time and scared Cadence.

Kelly said...

I miss you girl. I missed seeing you at church this past Sunday. We need to do another game night soon. I have a toddlers busy book you could borrow if you're looking for ideas of fun stuff to do. I know it has saved my life on a few occasions. I love you.

Becky said...

Just put them in front of the TV and do your thing! Just kidding. When you kids were little we always had lots of outdoors for you to play in. Maybe you were a little older than Brody and Bridger though. The challenges of a mother.

Kendra said...

I know what you mean about Saturdays!! Marc also usually works on Saturday's but I feel like that should be my fun day, and being on a school schedule means that Saturday is my day off. If it makes you feel any better I had to spend 7 hours of my last Saturday doing a takehome midterm!! It pretty much ruined my idea of a good time!

Eliza said...

Boredom looks less like boredome and more like boredom.

heather said...

I love that Brody put his old costume on. I couldn't stop laughing it was such a funny picture. PS: when are you coming into town?

Leslie Watters said...

You should have let him wear it to church! :)

Seriously...it was pretty funny.

Brianna said...

I try and make up games while doing chores. It's amazing how much my kids want to help me with the laundry when they get to jump in the big stack like leaves in the fall. I have Emma "sweep' the floor while we're cleaning up the dishes from dinner. What we used to do in Lancaster, I designated a spot in the backyard as the kids' spot. I got some cheap flowers and seeds and those plastic shovels and rakes and everyday they got to go take care of their flowers while I took care of the back yard. Another fun thing to do would be to go on a walk and collect pine cones. Each kid gets to keep one and make a bird feeder out of it (spread peanut butter all over it and then roll it in bird seed). Hang it outside where the kids can see it from the door or a window so they don't have to go outside everytime to see if there are birds eating. I'm sure I have a ton more ideas. Let me know if these are some ideas that your kids would like and I'll email you some more.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I stink as a mom. When my kids tell me that they are bored I tell them it is because they are boring. How mean am I?

The Findarle Family said...

he looks white trash in that suit... cute white trash.. and cute new rug

Winn Family said...

-k-, I don't know who jen e is, but what she wrote is hilarious! HA HA, but I was going to tell you that you're an awesome mom! How fun! (Jess loves the Sunday/Monday off schedule and I'm not the biggest fan either...) but you totally made the most of it. Oh, and awesome costume party. So fun!
I actually have a boredom bag for Kade and it's hilarious, because when he's bored I make so many suggestions but he never wants any of them right...but if he pulls it out of a bag and I read it in a really EXCITING voice--all of a sudden it's awesome! Anyway--we just started it but he loves the surprise.

Jared said...

Jessica-

I have to laugh at the comment that you left for on our page. It may seem that most guys do not follow the pages, but my wife just does such a better job at it than me. I find it odd that we grew up near eachother and years later we end up not too far from eachother. Oh how small the world is.