CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 9, 2008

The Strawberry Patch















It is strawberry season! Last year we had so much fun going and picking our own strawberries that we jumped at the chance when the strawberry patch opened this year. We picked two buckets of strawberries and let me tell you- they are the best strawberries I have ever put in my mouth. The ones at the grocery stores don't even taste good to me anymore. You can eat as many as you want while picking and the buckets are only $7 each. The boys had fun running through the rows of strawberries, watching the tractors nearby and of course eating the strawberries. You can even see Bridger stuffing his face in the Youtube player at the bottom of our blog. (not this entry, but the entire page). The player will always be there with the latest videos of the family. Anyway, it was a really good experience for us but we decided we are glad we don't have to plant, grow and harvest all of our own food. Those poor pioneers. If they only knew that less than a hundred years after they went through all they did that there would be cars and planes and boxed macaroni and cheese!















With all the strawberries we had I decided to try my hand at making jam. Some of my friends had done it so with their advice, I started the process. Even with Adam's help, it was a little overwhelming but we did it. We made 9 small jars of jam and the boys had it on their sandwiches for lunch. I was pretty excited about it but apparently it is nothing to be excited about. In fact, I've heard it is pretty lame to make your own jam (thanks Eliza). I don't care, though. I like to look at my homemade jam jars and know that I turned the strawberries I picked myself into yummy strawberry jam!


Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Lant Family said...

Oh man that sounds so good. I wish we could go there! I want good strawberries. I would totally make jam! Not lame.

Leslie Watters said...

Your jam is sooooo good! You're totally not lame. I think we're going to go this weekend.

The Findarle Family said...

I think it is cute you like to make your own jam... I cant do anything homemade or anything crafty.. Maybe you can teach me so I am not a useless wife... I LOVE the video thing you added. and Brody was so little in that last video!

Zachariah Parry said...

Eliza is lame.

Nicole said...

Ummm...people who make jam from strawberries they picked rock, and anyone who says otherwise is probably just jealous that they aren't as awesome as we are..I mean you are...

Eliza said...

Wow, you have a lot of lame friends. Do you guys get together and have jam-making parties? Maybe you are in a quilting bee? Nicole is right, I am so jealous that I don't spend hours of my time making jam instead of spending $1.79 in the store. She saw right through me didn't she?

Anita said...

I LOVE strawberry picking. We go every year. I even have memories of rotten strawberry fights in the fields when we were kids. Good times.

Becky said...

Who knew that a blog about picking strawberries and making jam would spark such a nasty debate. I remember making jam, when we lived where it was cheaper to make than to buy, and I was so proud of my accomplishment.

Aivaz Family said...

Eliza is funny...and right. But its cute that you did it, Jess.

Kendra said...

What a good little mormon mommy you are making jam and stuff! I don't think you are lame! I want to come and visit you during strawberry season because that sounds so delicious and I am a little jealous. My daddy used to grow the yummiest strawberries, they were always sweeter than the store ones!

The Findarle Family said...

I don't think that people should talk ill about people whom they have never met... I think if Jessica wants to make jam and enjoys it... you go girl... and people who want to express their opinions otherwise.... go get em tiger... but to assume someone is just jealous because they do not enjoying making such a homemade snack... well that is just wrong... sick and wrong! everyone that has commented better watch their backs and the backs of their children... haha.. just kidding jessica is the most attractive person ever! Love you babe oh and Eliza, becky and seana are also attractive. Zach is ok

Jonathan and Rachel said...

Jess - I'm glad you had a great time for the second year in a row... but have to comment that the first year I asked you to go with me - (3 years ago) you said, "ummm... I don't pick strawberries." MAYBE it was because you were barely pregnant - but I also think you've become much more adventurous! Awesome on making the homemade jam!! The jars are awesome and it looks tastey!

Natalie said...

I wish we had a strawberry patch. I would go and pick strawberries for my jam. Freezer jam, that is. Yes, Eliza, I did make jam and it's not lame, it's effing good. Very cute pictures Jess.

Zachariah Parry said...

Eliza is no longer lame.

heather said...

So fun that you got to pick strawberries and make jam. I think it's pretty cool to make jam. For one thing it's way better tasting then any store bought brand! If I was there, I would make jam too!

Anonymous said...

What a fun activity! My grandma is visiting my cousin in North Carolina and they just did the same thing the other day. I think I'll stay out of the jam debate. Even though I think homemade jam tastes better. I've only attempted freezer jam.

Lenae said...

Wow, look at all the controversy over your jamming skills...:)

I think it's cool. And I feel very deficient because I do not make my own jam. I can make grilled cheese though.