CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 31, 2009

French Toast

When I was growing up, my dad would sometimes make special breakfasts for us on Saturdays or Sundays. It was usually french toast, eggs, and any breakfast meat we had in the fridge. It was always a treat. After I got married, french toast lost its appeal for some reason. I don't know if I just got sick of it or if my taste buds changed, but it never sounded good to me. Adam tried different ways to make it and his recipe has changed over time. He has finally hit the jackpot. I can't get enough of it. We probably have french toast, eggs and bacon for dinner once a week (don't you love breakfast for dinner?).

Now that we have found recipe gold, we want to share the wealth for all you french toast lovers (and the rest of you too- you may just change your mind!).

Here it is:

1/3 cup milk

4 eggs

¾ tsp. vanilla

1/8 tsp. cloves

1/8 tsp. nutmeg

¼ tsp. allspice

½ Tbsp. cinnamon

½ Tbsp. powdered sugar

½ Tbsp. brown sugar

about 8 slices of bread

---Mix it all together and put bread in mixture for about 3 seconds, then flip bread and get the other side for about 3 seconds. Side note- we like to use moist thick bread. We are wheat people but for french toast, we usually use white or Italian. Put the french toast on the griddle until it is "toasty" then flip and do the same on the other side.

Another side note- if you are one who likes to smother your french toast with peanut butter (this probably only applies to people in my family) don't even bother making these. The peanut butter taste pretty much covers the goodness of this recipe. Butter and syrup are the way to go with this perfect french toast.

Sorry we don't have pictures. We had it for dinner tonight but who wants to wait to take pictures before you eat it? Not me.

Once you try out the recipe, let us know what you think.

9 comments:

Becky said...

I'm not sure but I don't think even that recipe would make me want to eat french toast again. I'm not sure why I stopped liking it either.

Zachariah Parry said...

Remember when we had a french-toast eating contest when I was 13 and you were 9? I ate 4 pieces and you ate like 11.

I am not a huge fan of french toast, but we make some where we cook the french toast with cream cheese and jam--it's awesome.

We made it for Mom and she said she liked it. I guess she was lying.

Zachariah Parry said...

Oh--and I stopped liking french toast for a long time because it turns out I am not a maple syrup fan. Amber introduced me to butter syrup, which I didn't know existed, and it turned my life around with pancakes, waffles, and french toast.

And of course I like peanut butter on 'em. (But not the cream-cheese ones.)

Have I said enough yet about french toast?

Lenae said...

I LOVE french toast, so thanks for the recipe! And the peanut butter thing totally applies to my husband. We actually just leave the jar -usually open- on the counter, all day long, for easy access.

Joel (Bob) and Dresden said...

Oh yum! Thanks for the recipe!

Stephanie said...

I didn't start liking French Toast until I was a teenager, and I still love it...if it's made right. I will totally try this! I'm excited! Thanks for sharing!

Now if only you have a really great Pancake recipe...you know something not from a mix, than maybe I'll like those again.

Anonymous said...

I love French toast! And now my stomach is growling.

Anonymous said...

hey guys try this recipe with brioche bread> the bread is light and fluffy. xoxo

Anonymous said...

hey guys try this recipe with brioche bread. its light and fluffy.xoxo
stalina